S.S. David O. Saylor
The S.S. David O. Saylor was the first concrete ship built by McCloskey and Company in Tampa, Florida. She was launched in Novemeber of 1943 but was initially unable to sail due to improper pouring of the concrete, which was eventually fixed.
In March of 1944, the David O. Saylor and the S.S. Vitruvius set sail for Liverpool, England to join a fleet of ships to participate in the D-Day invasion of Normandy. On July 16, 1944, the S.S. Vitruvius and Saylor were partially sunk to form the "Gooseberry" breakwater off the coast of Normandy.
The S.S. David O. Saylor lies off the coast of Normandy, France. At the time of her sinking, she was still visible above the water. How much is left of her now is unknown.
None available. However, since all the McCloskey ships are identical, you can see photos of the other ships to see what the David Saylor looked like.
Gross Weight: 4,690 Tons
Net Weight: 2,738 Tons
Dimensions: 102.53 meters x 16.45 m x 10.66 m
Engine: T.3-cyl, Prescott Mehy Co.